Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Language Learning Made Easy

 As technology has progressed, our global connections have spanned the globe without even travel.  Collaboration is touted as an important expectation for our youth as they enter the workforce.  I would like to start introducing my students to opportunities to begin learning the basics of another language to ensure they have more access to communication with others.  


Rosetta Stone is highly-rated software that utilizes the “dynamic immersion method” to help individuals learn to “speak, read, write, and think” in the language they are learning.  The visual images utilized helped me make a connection from the words and what I heard to what I saw to make it a more meaningful approach.  I self-taught myself to learn some Russian while I was in junior high and found the program very engaging, and this was almost fifteen years ago.   The program does not involve translation or lists of words to memorize, but does provide interactive speaking opportunities.

Now, there are more advantages with the integration of the Internet.   The classroom edition, can be accessed online or through CD-Rom and flexible licensing options exist.  There are 25 languages available for classroom use and teachers and administrators have access to a manager tool to allow them to customize the learning for their students and view reports of progress.  Students may work individually or collaboratively.

For personal use, the company provides software for 31 languages, offers a 6 month money-back guarantee if you are not pleased with the software, and provides additional online resources.  The learner may choose to go online to speak with a native tutor to practice authentic conversation and “hear” the words.  There are also games and other activities within the online community.  No longer are you confined to your computer at home; learn as you go.  Now, you can use the software on your iPhone, iPod Touch, MP3 Player, PC, and soon iPad.  

I would highly recommend this software.  It is not free, and the challenge for me will be to acquire funds to at least purchase some licenses for some of my students.  Eventually, I would like to have a few different languages available to my students.  This software will help me expand my program opportunities and allow more flexible scheduling with my students as they may work independently at their own pace on the computer or mobile device while I’m working with other students.

www.flickr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment